The Next Stage: The Future of Denver's Performing Arts Complex
The Vision Plan
Looking to reinvigorate the Denver Perfoming Arts Complex and reinforce its position as Denver’s cultural anchor, in 2014 Mayor Hancock appointed over 30 community leaders to a citizens advisory group to guide a thoughtful planning process to propose changes to the Arts Complex. Released in March 2016, The Next Stage Vision Plan distilled an 18-month robust public process into an aspirational plan which, through carefully planned physical change adds new and improved arts facilities, introduces arts supportive uses such as retail and an improved parking experience and integrates the Arts Complex more fully into downtown. The intent of these proposed changes is to ensure the complex remains a focus of arts-related activities well into the future.
Funding & Governance Committee Work
On the heels of the Vision Plan, in April 2016, Mayor Hancock convened 64 professionals from the areas of philanthropy, law, finance, real estate, construction, and government to take the Vision Plan concepts and apply the combined expertise of the participants to determine if the plan is practically and economically feasible and identify issues that need to be addressed further. The FunGov presented their findings to Mayor Hancock in 2018.
Additional due diligence and stakeholder alignment discussions are now taking place in an effort to then begin the RFP process.
The Denver Performing Arts Complex will be an enlivened, vibrant, thriving, public regional center of cultural activity in the heart of downtown. It will attract diverse audiences, celebrate a variety of art forms, contribute to the city’s economic vitality, enhance Denver’s urban fabric, integrate with neighboring amenities, and serve as an innovative model for sustainable cultural and civic investment.
- The Arts Complex was envisioned and developed as a home for the performing arts, so changes to the complex should enhance and complement performing arts organizations
- The Arts Complex will be a thriving, public regional center of cultural activity in the heart of downtown
- The vitality of arts and culture at the Arts Complex will be enhanced through attracting new uses that complement arts and cultural programming
- The Arts Complex will be affordable to a broad spectrum of audiences and arts organizations
- Every guest arriving at the Arts Complex willfeel welcome, experience convenient access and
departure, and facilities that are well maintained, safe, and embrace technological advances
- Governance at the Arts Complex will balance the needs of all stakeholders
There are no public meetings scheduled at this time, please continue to check back here for updates. Below are resources to learn more about The Next Stage Vision Plan.